Home Gardening Program Intern
2018-2019 Internship Description
Position Title: Home Gardening Program Intern
Position Reports to: Executive Director
Employment Status: Temporary, unpaid
Start Date: September 15, 2018 - May 15, 2018
Positions available: 1
About The GardenWorks Project:
The GardenWorks Project is a local non-profit serving the western Chicagoland region. Our mission is to empower, educate, and promote organic suburban agriculture to improve the wellbeing of our community, the environment, and families facing food insecurity. We support all gardeners in their efforts to grow and prepare food for themselves and their neighbors in need.
Summary of Position:
The Home Gardening Program Internship is a school-year based position. The position will assist staff in supporting the Home Gardening Program with volunteer and program management, various marketing campaigns, and assisting in outcomes-based measurements for post-season assessments. In addition, the internship will also collaborate with current health and wellness initiatives and food pantry partners that work with our clients. The position will be responsible for the following responsibilities, along with other duties as assigned. The expected hours per week will vary, yet is expected to be no more than 10 hours per week.
- Assist in surveying all current participants, and assist in completing analysis of survey results for ongoing outcome measures and reporting.
- Execute volunteer management tools and systemize process of logging volunteer hours.
- Research best-practices with other programs like ours on a national scale, and provide Executive Director recommendations on program enhancements and improvements.
- Assist with ongoing communication and assistance provided to current and prospective clients.
- Execute communication and delivery of applications to food pantry and social service partners.
- Assist Executive Director and Development Committee with ongoing grant applications and reporting requirements.
- Complete one handbook for home gardeners that promotes health and wellness or other topic of interest, with approval of the Executive Director.
- Assist with additional office-related tasks, such as mass mailings, seed sorting, and distributing flyers and marketing materials.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Must be flexible in regard to work hours. Some evening and weekend work required.
- Willingness to work independently and also cooperate as part of a team.
- Positive attitude; engaging personality.
- A commitment to food justice and The GardenWorks Project’s mission.
- Spanish-speaking is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The GardenWorks Project is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or belief. The GardenWorks Project has a zero tolerance policy for sexism, racism, and xenophobia. We believe there is a place in the garden for all. We will offer resources and support to gardeners to create the world we want to see - well-nourished and free from hate, discrimination, and harassment.
Qualified candidates should submit their resume and cover letter electronically to Jeannie Iseman at firstname.lastname@example.org (please note position title in your subject line) or by mail to GardenWorks Project, PO Box 615, West Chicago, IL 60186.