The position will help establish and maintain a community garden in DuPage County to promote civic
engagement health and wellness within the community. The intern will be responsible for the following:
1) Manage the season’s garden, which includes volunteer recruitment, partnership building, and
ongoing garden maintenance throughout the growing season.
2) Determine a course of action for the proceeds of the harvest to promote nutrition and better
health for the greater community.
3) Visit three area community gardens in the region, and provide reports on successes and
challenges, best-practices, and qualitative impact on the community.
4) Donate harvests to community partners agencies receiving food for food insecure clients.
5) Meet with partners, local growers/farmers and public health officials to develop best-practices
and complete final report of recommendations on the community gardening movement within
the local food system.
6) All other additional duties as assigned.
103 W Washington St
West Chicago, IL 60185
Google map and directions
Do you have a passion for planning events? We are looking for help planning an exciting fundraising gala in October 2018.
- Create a plan for celebrating the organization at a fundraising gala.
- Work with staff to execute plan.
- Identify new individual donors, corporate sponsors, and grant opportunities.
- Organized and able to meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Experience planning and executing fundraising activities
- Approximately 30 hours February-October 2018
Have you volunteered with us in the past and would like to take on a bigger role? As our organization grows, so does our need for folks who can lead garden builds. Garden Build Coordinators are on site at 3-5 garden builds to welcome volunteers, introduce clients, and guide the installation and planting of the garden.
Sign up here now to indicate your interest in volunteering as a Garden Build Coordinator. You will be included on all future notices about our builds. Garden Build Coordinators sign up to volunteer for specific builds and locations at a TBA meeting in March.
- Attend build scheduling meeting in March, details TBA
- In March and April prior to build:
- Schedule a home visit with the client
- Complete the home survey form
- One week prior to build:
- Email volunteers to confirm 1 week prior to build
- Call clients 1 week to 3 days prior to build
- 1-2 days prior to build:
- Pick up seedlings and garden tools for client at our Resource Center
- Build Day:
- Arrive at build 10 minutes early to greet volunteers
- Bring seedlings, garden tools, and power screwdriver (all provided)
- Be prepared to build raised bed frame with help from volunteers
- Supervise build--volunteers move soil to frame & plant
- Encourage clients & especially children to become involved in planting
- Answer any client questions & let them know about Garden Coach follow-up
- Complete build experience form
- Completed at least one Garden Build for The GardenWorks Project
- Flexibility in accommodating client preferences
- A welcoming and friendly greeter and introduction facilitator
- Training at our March meeting
- Access to our Volunteer Coordinator, as needed
- Please plan to sign-up for 3-5 builds
- Approximately 11-12 hours total
- Meetings for approximately 2 hours in March, 2 hours in May
- Approximately 4 hours in the two weeks leading up to the build
- One hour per build on build day + travel time